Basic Page Content Type
What should you use the Basic page content type for?
The Basic Page content type is intended for content that doesn't change often, such as informational pages or pages regarding administrative policies. Basic Page is the only content type that allows an easy way, through Panelizer, to pull in custom blocks. Basic Page can utilize the custom block components such as gallery previews, accordions, tabs, and various layout grids. Basic Pages, having the Panelizer feature turned on, also gives this content type the flexibility to allow for column layout changes. With the Panelizer functionality, Basic Page will typically fill most needs for any type of page outside of the more structured content types available.
How to Create a Basic Page
- Click on or hover over Content in your admin panel
- Click on or hover over Add Content
- From the list of content types, select Basic page.
- Give your Basic page a Title.
- To display a header image, use Header Options
- To designate social media options use Social Options
- Fill in the body content, then Save the page
- On the view page, you'll see the Panelizer tab at the bottom if your site is still using Panels; add the custom blocks needed and rearrange as necessary. If your site is using Layout Builder, use the Layout tab to add custom blocks and rearrange content.
Basic page sections
- Title - required. Text entered will be used as the title of the page, included in the breadcrumbs, and become the page's URL unless otherwise configured.
- Body - A WYSIWYG interface provides you the means of adding in your article's main content.
- Summary - Enter text you would like to use as a brief, custom teaser OR leave blank and the system will use a trimmed segment of the body text instead. Summary is also necessary for a specific description meta-data that displays in web crawlers.
- After first save, you are now able to add custom blocks. This is done either with Panelizer (bottom of page tabs) or Layout (Layout tab) depending on how your site is currently set up.
- Panelizer - Allows adding custom blocks and other types of content, as well as changing column layout based off predesigned templates
- Layout - Allows adding custom blocks and other types of content, as well as being able to customize a layout to your desired look and feel