The ITS Web Solutions Group and your Site Factory Manager will assist starting with initial request to launch. This includes support through training, documentation, and service requests via Service Link.
There are currently two UCR wide themes. These themes share all styles except for the header and are available for all sites. Individual pages can be customized by editors with the proper permissions. A CNAS Theme is available for CNAS related sites. At this moment in time, we are not equipped to take on any theme customization requests.
There are three roles for users, Content Contributor, Content Editor, and Site Builder. Each role has different permissions which will slightly change a user's experience. Site builders can add people and assign a role to new editors. There should be at least one site builder for each site. Take a look at the Roles and Permissions Matrix to see what content, blocks, features, and elements you have access.
Glossary of Terms
For reference, we have provided a Glossary of Terms. This will help you understand the Drupal terminology.
There are certain things only an administrator of Campus Web Solutions can accomplish within your Drupal site. If any of the following need to be accomplished, please open a Service Link Ticket - For Campus Web Solutions. Be sure to select the correct categories (Content Management system, Drupal/Acquia, Additional Configurations).
- Adding the UA code of Google Analytics to a site
If the UA code is not given up front when a website launch is requested, the default UCR UA code is automatically entered. Only the UA code is needed, not the script. The site doesn't display any analytics, that is still viewed within Google.
- GTM - Google Tag Manager module: Once a site is ready to transfer to GTM, this will be turned on and Google Analytics turned off.
- Generate Google Sitemap XML (will be added to all sites in Winter 2020)
- Enable "FAQ" content type - provides an additional content type for sites who need a very comprehensive, searchable FAQ
- CAS and password protected pages
- Add alias - for additional domain names to be associated to your site
- Switch to Layout Builder from Panelizer (Panels Dashboard) - other
Bugs and other Weirdness!
Is something weird going on? Have you found a bug? Please let us know by opening an incident at Service Link under Software & Applications, sub-category, Campus Websites.
Campus Web Solutions is working on the following issues for a future release:
- Overflow of background image for hero videos
- Bulk upload is skipping files (was fixed and having issues again)
- Adding code through source in accordion - code only kept in last edited accordion
- MegaNav sticky changes position of anchor link
Workarounds for Known Issues
Carousel Sliders for Hero and Content
Multiple carousels will work on the same page. However, they all need to have multiple images. If one of the carousel sliders is only displaying one image, where the one below is displaying multiple, the "dots" and slider navigation will be controlled in the top most slider for the one below. To prevent this, do not use a carousel slider when you only want one image. If you are using a carousel slider as a hero slider but only have one image, use instead the Head Image and Title block or the "Header Options" on basic pages.
Cannot link an image once it has been placed with the media (star) icon? Drupal is changing your image into a drupal entity. Here is a workaround for now:
- Upload image file through Content -> Add Media
- Copy the root relative URL path of the image (everything after the .com or the .edu)
- Go to the page you want to edit, click to the source text formatter and click "Source" in the WYSIWYG editor
- Add the following a href and img tags replacing "sample" and extensions to the proper destinations:
<a href="http://sample.ucr.edu/sample.pdf target="_blank"><img src="/paste-the-root-relative-url-path-of-image-here.jpg" alt="title of image" /></a>
WYSIWYG Source Mode Edit using Panelizer & Layout
Editing WYSIWYG content in source mode using Panelizer or Layout Builder and changes aren't updating? You'll need to click back to normal view from source view before you update. To do so, just click on "source" again after you make your updates before saving.
Do you have a recommendation for a feature enhancement that can be utilized by campus? Please fill out ITS' Demand Management Feature Enhancement or New Project Request.
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and has been sort of a buzz phrase recently. For new sites, it will take time for search engines to crawl a site. These are some basic SEO standard practices:
- Publish relevant content (don't publish test pages and if you need to, be sure to un-publish later, delete these pages when no longer needed)
- Update your content regularly
- Metadata - Drupal already automatically adds relevant metadata, although there are Meta Tags you can update on nodes. Make sure you provide a summary for your body content.
- Make sure you are following basic accessibility guidelines